A key stakeholder in research for development
The French National Research Institute for Sustainable Development (IRD) is a public science and technology establishment (EPST) under the joint supervision of the Ministry of Higher Education and Research and the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs.
The missions of IRD:
- An equitable scientific partnership and co-publications with partners in inter-tropical countries
- Solutions which are adapted to global challenges and based on scientific evidence
- Public policies informed by scientific advances
- Citizens driving change-responsible innovations
- Specific expertise and know-how
IRD network and presence in fifty or so countries, results in an original approach to research, expertise, training and knowledge-sharing, to the benefit of inter-tropical countries and regions that make science and innovation key drivers in their development.
- A community of over 7,000 people including 2019 IRD agents (820 IRD researchers and 1,228 IRD engineers and technicians)
- 35% of agents working outside mainland France